Depending on where you are, and what your equinoctial climate is, here in the Northern hemisphere, summer is creeping around the bend which means it’s time to light the official torch of summer, the barbeque. It signals to all within whiffing distance that you have relegated your cooking activities outdoors and it’s one of those few occasions when husbands assume the mantel. Donned in aprons, armed with tongs and speared forks, they stoke the flame and prod the grill to revisit their primal ancestral roots as hunters. I for one applaud their participation even if it is only seasonal. And for those who take charge of the cooking duties year-round, bravo! But regardless of who is manning the grill, nothing brings out the smokey aroma of fire roasted peppers and the sweet flavor of vegetables quite like the barbeque, which is what inspired this dish. Light, deliciously satisfying, and nutrient dense, this roasted vegetable terrine, layered with easy to make creamy vegan herb cheese, finished with roasted pepper coulis, is the perfect main course along side a spinach salad, or as an accompaniment to any meal. I usually make a deep dish casserole of it to have on hand throughout the week, because the less time I spend in the kitchen during summer, the more time I have to enjoy season.
Recipe notes: Can be made ahead. What you will need: Bowl, tongs, casserole dish, foil and plastic wrap. Yields 8-entree servings or 12 side servings. Active prep time 20-minutes. Grill time: 30-minutes. Difficulty level: Very easy
- 1-large Eggplant sliced lengthwise 1/2″ thick
- 2-large zucchini and or yellow squash sliced lengthwise 1/2″ thick
- 2-yellow bell peppers, cored and seeded
- 2-orange bell peppers, cored and seeded
- 2-sweet red bell peppers, cored and seeded
- 4-portobello mushrooms
- 2-Tbsp olive oil
- 1-lb vegan herb cheese or goat cheese (optional)
- 8-oz Red pepper coulis (see recipe)
- Lightly brush prepared vegetables with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast vegetables on both sides and transfer to mixing bowl, and cover with foil.
- Remove skins from peppers
- In casserole dish, layer vegetables beginning with eggplant on the bottom and alternating.
- Spread cheese evenly between layers
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate
- Cut into portions and serve with red pepper coulis