What to do with leftover Meatless Tex Mex chili? Turn it into tacos or taco salad. I remember my first taco salad. It was served in a flour tortilla fried to resemble a bowl. When the waiter put in front of me, it looked ginormous. Floating atop a cloud of iceberg lettuce was chicken, salsa, guacamole, and a smidgen of sour cream. As I plowed through, all I found was a scoop of rice and a schmear of refried beans at the bottom. Where had all the goodies gone? So when it came to this salad, I decided to work it from the bottom up. Starting with a baked red skin potato smothered in meatless chili, I layered oven-baked tortilla chips, shredded romaine, spinach, roasted corn, black beans, and lots of fresh veggies tossed with chipotle mayo. You won’t find any fluff here, just tons of plant-based nutrient-dense goodness through and through. And rest assured, with this taco salad, you won’t leave the table feeling cheated or hungry.
Recipe notes: Tortilla chips, chili, and chipotle mayo can be prepared ahead. Salad yields 4- entrée size servings. Difficulty level: Very easy. Nutrients based per serving.
- 4-small-med size red skin potatoes
- 2 cups Cowboy Caviar
- 2-limes, cut into wedges
- Cilantro sprigs
- 4-cups meatless Tex-Mex chili
- 18- corn tortillas (see the recipe for chili lime tortilla points)
- 2-cups fresh spinach, torn
- 2-cups fresh romaine, chopped
- 1-cup tri-color cabbage
- 1/2-cup sliced red onion
- 1-cup shredded carrots
- 1/2-bunch radishes, thinly sliced
- 1-cup pear or cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1-avocado, sliced or cubed
- 1/2-cup vegan mayo
- 2-tbsp chipotle chili paste (canned chipotle chilis are available in the Hispanic section of most markets. I puree a can then freeze it in an ice cube tray. Depending on the tray, a cube=1 tbsp)
- For the dressing: in blender puree chipotle to a fine paste and transfer to a bowl
- Gently fold in mayonnaise and refrigerate (can be prepared ahead)
- Pre-make chili, cowboy caviar, and tortilla chips and set aside (can be made ahead)
- Bake or microwave potatoes
- In mixing bowl, combine salad ingredients
- Toss salad with half of the chipotle mayo and the juice of one lime.
- Slice baked potato in half and place at the bottom of the serving bowl
- Ladle 1-cup of warmed chili over potato and layer a portion of the chips on top.
- Add salad mix and top with additional chips, cowboy caviar, avocado, and tomatoes. Garnish with cilantro sprigs, and lime wedges Reserve remaining chips, lime wedges, and dressing and serve on the side
The Thrifty Campers said:
Great healthy spon to put on tacos😄
The Thrifty Campers said: