It’s Memorial weekend, which means…it’s the bar-be-que season, and I am craving this grilled Portobello sandwich even as I write this. I haven’t totally eliminated red meat from my diet, I just don’t have it very often. And thanks to this sandwich, I don’t crave it as much as I used to. The grilled Portobello, stacked with zucchini, eggplant, and peppers, satisfies the nagging carnivore in me. And thankfully, since recently discovering vegan parmesan, eggless mayonnaise, and creamy vegan herb cheese, I don’t have to give up the extras. But more importantly, are the macro and micronutrient values that go along with the ingredients. Sandwiched between this gluten-free bun is an example of re-shifting the food pyramid levels and retrofitting its architectural foundation for better, balanced, healthier eating that isn’t lacking in flavor.
Recipe notes Active prep time 15-minutes. Cooking time 20-30 minutes. Yields 4-serving nutrient values based per serving. Difficulty level: Easy
- 4-large Portobello mushrooms
- 1-sweet red bell pepper quartered
- 1-red onion sliced
- 1-zucchini cut 1/2″ slices
- 1-eggplant cut 1/2″ slices
- Olive oil
- 4-GF-rolls or hamburger buns
- 1-tomato sliced
- 1/4 cup pesto Alla Genovese
- 8-fresh basil leaves
- 2-Tbsp Vegan “Miracle Whip” mayonnaise
- 4-slices mozzarella or 1/2-cup vegan herbed cheese (optional)
- Cut 1/2″ pieces of zucchini at an angle to elongate
- Drizzle vegetables with oil and season.
- Grill or oven roast vegetables and set aside.
- Split and toast rolls.
- In a cup, combine pesto and mayo.
- Spread pesto mixture on each slice of bread.
- Stack roasted vegetables, mozzarella, tomato, and fresh basil leaves.
- Serve with additional pesto mayo.