Strawberry season is just around the corner,, and when I’m not using them for breakfast smoothies, snacks, and desserts, I reserve a few extra for this infusion, and the added basil comes together to give it that je ne sais quoi flavor Light, sweet, savory and delicious, it compliments fruit or vegetable salads. Similar to the raspberry infusion, I invariably make a double batch to create a gastrique. (see recipe)
Recipe notes: What you will need: 1qt Mason jar, cheesecloth, and strainer. Yields 2-cups vinegar. Active prep time 5-minutes. For gastrique: Yields 2/3-1/2 cup. Active prep time 3-minutes. Cooking time 15-20 minutes
- 1-strawberries washed, hulled and quartered
- 10-12 fresh basil leaves
- 1-garlic clove halved
- 1-shallot halved
- 2-cups-champagne or white wine vinegar
- In Mason jar, place garlic, shallots and peppercorns on the bottom, and layer with basil and strawberries.
- Heat vinegar in the microwave for 3-minutes.
- Pour over ingredients. Allow to cool before securing the lid.
- Let stand for 1-week.
- Strain and store in the desired bottle.