- Nothing spells childhood quite like a bowl of cream of tomato soup. Coming home after school to a hot bowl on a rainy day and dipping a crunchy, ooey, gooey grilled cheese sandwich into it, was the ultimate pairing of warmth and comfort. My mother made hers from scratch. And although I made a slight adjustment to her original recipe; by omitting the milk and substituting with organic silken tofu, I doubt you’ll notice the difference. The silken tofu blends the soup to a creamy finish without adding dairy or compromising the rich aromatic flavor of roasted garlic, tomatoes, and peppers. The added vegan pesto alla genovese ties it all together and makes a perfect marinara sauce over pasta.
Recipe Notes: Prep time 15-20 minutes. Cooking time 10-minutes. Yields 6-8 servings. Difficulty level: Easy. Nutrient values-based per serving
- 4-sweet red bell peppers, seeded
- 2-lbs Roma tomatoes
- 1/2 fresh fennel bulb sliced
- 3-sm-med carrots peeled and sliced
- 8-cloves garlic peeled +2small bulbs of garlic tops sliced off
- extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- salt & pepper
- 4-cups vegetable stock
- 1-tbsp Aglio olio pepperoncino spice blend
- 2-tsp dry basil
- 1-tsp dry oregano
- 1/2-tsp dry marjoram
- 6-oz organic silken tofu
- 1-8oz can Tomato Paste
- 1/2-cup vegan parmesan
- ¼ cup vegan fresh basil pesto or 6-frozen cubes
- 1/4 chopped Italian parsley
- 1/4-cup ground chia seeds
- fresh basil leaves cut into julienne strips for garnish
- Preheat oven @350.
- If you can fit two sheet pans in your oven, then line both with baking foil and lightly spray with oil. If not, you may have to do them in 2-batches.
- Halve tomatoes and peppers. Arrange peppers skin side up and tomatoes skin side down on a baking sheet, add fennel, carrots, and garlic.
- Drizzle vegetables and garlic with olive oil, season with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 30-40 or until pepper skins have blistered, but not charred.
- Remove vegetables from the oven. Transfer ingredients to large bowl and cover till cooled. Squeeze roasted garlic into a bowl, discard outer shells.
- Transfer roasted vegetables to a blender.
- Add 2-cups of stock, tofu, seasoning, and blend.
- In a 2-qt saucepan, add oil and saute garlic on medium heat.
- Add tomato paste and lightly saute, adding remaining stock a little at a time to deglaze the pan and create a sauce.
- Add puree and simmer on low for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add parsley and vegan parmesan.
- Turn off heat, add pesto and stir until blended.
- Add chia seeds and stir.
- Garnish with julienne strips of fresh basil. Stack 3-4 leaves of fresh basil and cigar roll them. Starting at the tip, thinly slice basil into ribbons. It can be made ahead and stored in refrigerator or freezer.