This is one of my favorite Italian style ices. It is the mid-way point between sorbet and sherbet, and the added papaya and coconut milk gives it a tropical flavor. Light, smooth, and creamy with a slight texture of fruit, it is a refreshing and satisfying dessert packed with fiber, beta carotene (a precursor to vitamin-A), Vitamin-C, potassium, and calcium. Best of all, its delicious.
Recipe notes: What you will need: Cuisinart ice cream machine, blender, bowl, whisk, and container for storage. Yields 1 1/2 quarts. Difficulty level: Very easy.
- 1-ripe cantaloupe, peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 1 1/2-cups Hawaiian or Mexican papaya, peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 1-lime, juiced
- 12 oz (1-can) coconut milk
- 1/2-cup Stevia, agava or honey
- 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- Place fruit in blender and pulse just enough to blend but not liquify.
- In mixing bowl combine, puree, milk, sweetener and vanilla.
- Chill overnight.
- Pour base into ice cream machine and follow manufacturer’s directions.
- Scoop into container, place plastic wrap over top of sorbet/ice and freeze.