I’ve seen this blend priced in gourmet shops at $14.00 for a 4oz tin. It’s highway robbery in the first-degree since you can make it at home for a fraction of the cost.
Whether you’re a vegan or omnivore, this spice blend creates hearty soups and stews, and if you’re a backyard grill master, then this is the quintessential rub that will have your neighbors leaning over the fence asking, “What time is dinner?”
Recipe notes: What you will need: Mixing bowl, spice mill, and skillet. Yields 1- cup. Difficulty level: Very easy
- 1-1 ½” cinnamon stick
- 2-Tbsp +1-tsp cardamom pods
- 2-Tbsp cumin seeds
- 1/4-cup + 2-tsp coriander seeds
- 2-Tbs whole black peppercorns
- 6-sm dried red chili
- ½-tsp anise seeds
- 2-tsp-fennel seeds
- 2-tsp mustard seeds
- 23-whole cloves
- 1-Tbsp dry parsley flakes
- 1-Tbsp paprika
- 1-Tbsp dry minced garlic
- 1-Tbsp- dry minced onion
- 1/4-cup ground turmeric
- 1-tsp ground ginger
- 2- tsp ground mace/nutmeg
- ¼-tsp ground allspice
- 1-tsp dry thyme
- 1-tsp cayenne
- 2-tsp Himalayan salt
- 2 tsp Stevia in the Raw/sugar
- In dry skillet toast first 10-ingredients over medium heat until fragrant 2-5 minutes. Do not brown spices or they will turn bitter.
- Remove from heat and transfer to spice grinder and pulse to a powder.
- In a mixing bowl, add remaining ingredients and stir well.
- Add freshly ground spices and stir to incorporate.
- Store in an airtight container.