Recipe notes: What you will need: 1qt Mason jar, sharp paring knife, and strainer. Active time peeling and trimming pith, 1 hour. Inactive time: 60 days for infusion.Yields 750ml. Difficulty level: Moderately easy.
- 1-ripened mango, sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh or dried coconut chips
- 8-limes, peeled, pith removed
- 1-vanilla bean split lengthwise
- 1-750ml white rum
- Wash limes thoroughly.
- Using sharp paring knife, peel limes, being careful to avoid white part. Whatever white part is left needs to be shaved away as seen below in picture (2-3). Otherwise, if left, pith (white underside of skin) will cause the liqueur to become bitter.
- Hold sharp edge of knife at a slight 90 degree angle between pith and skin, and shave pith in strips. It may take a few tries to remove it entirely. I know what a tedious task it is— having made several of these citrus infusions—which is why I turn on the stereo and sit at the kitchen table with a small cutting board for this project. But it’s worth the effort to put out a quality product. Something you will be proud to pour, and display as your personal reserve.
- Collect peelings and place in Mason jar
- Push peelings to bottom of jar using a plunger from a food processor or facsimile to muddle rinds and release additional oils.
- Split vanilla bean lengthwise (no need to scrape seeds out)
- Cut mango in half and score fruit for easier removal (example in picture above) Tip:The seed of the mango is quite tricky, because it’s flat. For best results, slice mango horizontally just above middle point to feel where the pit begins.
- Layer fruit in Mason jar, and add vanilla bean
- Add rum making sure peelings and fruit are completely submerged.
- Secure lid, and store in pantry to infuse.
- Juice limes, and pour into ice-cube trays
- Freeze and transfer cubes to ziplock bag and reserve for mixer.
- Stir or shake infusion weekly
- Strain and remove vanilla and coconut. Reserve vanilla for baking
- At this point you can discard the mango and add fresh mango, or continue to let cure as is. Adding additional mango does infuse stronger flavor and color.
- Strain and discard ingredients.
- Transfer to desired bottle and add strips of dry mango (optional)