- Start your day with chocolate mousse. Chocolate for breakfast? Surprisingly, yes. Morning is the best time of day to have cacao chocolate. I couldn’t have successfully given up coffee without it. Loaded with antioxidants, chocolate combats the effect of those subversive free radicals that, according to national health articles, also has phenethylamine which releases endorphins and neurochemicals to balance hormonal mood swings. Touted as the happy hormone, cacao boosts brain levels of serotonin, the feel good brain chemical. I don’t know about everyone else, but I want all the “happy hormones” I can get, especially first thing in the morning. While coffee makes me feel jittery, cacao is proven to elevate brain levels of calming hormones and restore a sense of well-being that stays with me throughout the day. Not only does it taste decadently delicious, and give me a euphoric boost, it doesn’t interfere with my sleep pattern the way coffee does. However, I don’t recommend having it late at night, because it will keep you awake.
A twist on the French Classic with a dense chocolate flavor and rich creamy texture. The twist is that it’s considered a whole food because of the protein and mineral content in the tofu. Yes, you heard right, I said tofu. What gives it its buttery mouth feel is avocado. Now you’re really scratching your head. “Tofu, avocado, and chocolate in the same sentence…?” Actually, you don’t taste the avocado, it’s nutty profile disappears under the dense chocolate flavor and tofu doesn’t have a flavor profile. It absorbs whatever you add to it. Super easy to make in the blender; although, for best results, I highly suggest a Cuisinart food processor. So go ahead. Whip up a batch. And rev-up your “happy hormones!”
Recipe notes: Prep time: 15-minutes. Yields 5-4oz servings. Nutrients vales based per serving
- 1-14oz pkg organic silken tofu (be sure to get “silken” tofu, it provides the creamiest texure, also, make certain it’s “organic.”)
- 1-small avocado unbruised
- 1 -cup organic cacao powder
- 1/2-cup Stevia in the Raw
- 1-tsp vanilla extract
- 1-tsp cinnamon
- pinch cayenne
- pinch Himalayan salt
- Place tofu in Cuisinart food processor and blend to creamy consistency.
- Add avocado and blend till smooth and fully combine, scraping down sides of the bowl if necessary.
- Add cacao powder, sweetener, vanilla, cinnamon, cayenne, and salt.
- Blend for a couple of minutes so that the cacao powder is full incorporated.
- Taste test for sweetness adding additional sweetener if needed.
- Spoon into ramekins and refrigerate. Serve topped with fresh berries.