Do they really make you glow? Well, you know what they say, there’s no truth in advertising. But I found that in getting rid of processed food and switching to a nutrient dense, high-plant based diet, my skin glows from the inside out. And these protein, fiber rich bars, satisfy more than just an occasional sugar craving. Unlike store-bought protein bars that taste like sawdust and are made with palm oil and high fructose corn syrup, these easy to make bars are naturally nutrition and delicious. A convenient snack to keep on hand in my purse for a mid-day pick-me-up, or in my gym bag after a work-out.
Recipe notes: What you will need: 2-sheet pans, mixing bowl and food processor. Active prep time: 20-minutes. Baking time 15-20 minutes. Yields 20 bars. Difficulty level: Easy. Nutrient values based per.
- 2-cups whole rolled oats toasted (avoid using quick oats)
- 3/4-cup almonds, chopped
- 3/4-cup cashews
- 1-cup firmly packed Medjool dates, seeds removed
- 1/2-cup water
- 1/4-cup candied ginger (optional)
- 1/2-cup dried cranberries
- 1/2-cup dried apricots, sliced
- 1/2-cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4-whole chia seeds
- 1/4-cup flax seed
- 1/4-cup Stevia
- 1/4-cup almond butter
- 1/4-cup honey or agave syrup
- 5-oz cacao chocolate melted (optional)
Preheat oven to 350. Toast oats and nuts separately as oats will take longer.
- Toast oats for approx. 15-20 minutes or until light brown.
- Toast nuts for approx. 10-minutes.
- In Cuisinart food processor, pulse dates to a paste adding a few tablespoons of water to assist the process.
- Combine paste and the next 9-ingredients in mixing bowl. Transfer toasted oats and nuts to mixing bowl, and combine.
- Heat almond butter and honey either in a saucepan stovetop, or in the microwave.
- Pour melted almond butter and honey into mixing bowl and combine all ingredients.
- Lightly spray one of the sheet pans with oil and spoon mixture onto sheet pan, spreading evenly.
- Lay sheet of wax paper over mixture and press firmly to even out.
- Refrigerate for 30-minutes to solidify mixture.
- If topping with chocolate, melt chocolate in microwave in 30-second intervals. It may take 1 1/2 minutes depending on your microwave.
- If using stovetop. Bring 2-cups o water to a boil in a saucepan. Place chopped chocolate in a Pyrex cup. Remove saucepan from heat and set cup in water bath to melt chocolate
- Remove baking sheet from refrigerator and transfer to work area.
- Spread melted chocolate over the top of mixture.
- Return pan to refrigerator and let set.
- Using serrated knife, slice into bars, wrap bars in wax paper and store in refrigerator or freezer.